Caring For Elderly Parent At Home
Caring for elderly parent at home is exactly what Donna aka The Crazy Caregiver is here to show you that although there are new nursing homes and assisted facilities popping up in our local area still many people I know are caring for an elderly parent at home, if at all possible. One of the most important considerations if you were to choose to care for your elderly loved one is to have backup to help and willing to provide assistance and when needs of their elderly loved ones crop up. Although I’ve heard that the quality of service is not the same as the ones provided by medical professionals who train exactly for this type of care; I believe an adult child or family member who steps up with genuine concern and knowledge of their elderly family’s needs are just as essential and important when knowing how to fulfill those needs.
Family Caregiving Essentials
Caring for our elderly parent at home is never an easy undertaking. However, it has its distinct advantage of being able to spend quality time with our elderly loved ones while caring for their daily needs and at the same time gives us more moments to build memories that we will cherish for years to come.
With familiar surroundings, our aging parent doesn’t have to adapt to changes that would occur if they were put into a nursing home. Communication with the person assigned to care for them within a professional setting would become more difficult because there would be no bond between them. Caring for elderly parents at home is a major step, but one that you can take to ensure that their non-medical needs is met.
Your life will definitely change. If you’re the primary caregiver you will be responsible for taking care of your family member 24 hour. It can be a struggle for one person to perform the task alone, from the physical care, assistance provided to the elder such as housekeeping, shopping, assistance in grooming or bathing and dressing to paying the bills, and visits to the doctor’s.
The Pro’s and Con’s of Home Care for an Aging Parent
When it comes to caring for elderly parents at home, certain choices have to be made. When coming up with those decisions, you need to take into account several factors since they could impact not just the life of the elder, but yours (as the caregiver) as well. When you opt to care for the elderly at home, there are certain advantages involved, although some disadvantages are to be expected too. To determine whether you are suited for caring for elderly an elderly parent at home, here are a few pros and cons you might want to consider:
- Your aging parent has more flexibility. This also allows more independence in providing for their needs.
- Even though you’re caring for your aging parent or loved one at home, you can have access to social service support.
- It can be difficult to cope with the difficulties of caring for an elderly parent when you are doing it alone.
- You might need to modify areas within the home in order to make it more convenient for you to provide care for the elder person.
Pros and Cons of Assisted Living or Nursing Home
Choosing to enroll your elderly loved ones into a Nursing Home or Assisted Living has its own set of benefits and pitfalls. Here are a few for you to consider:
- The physical arrangement and living condition is designed primarily to make it convenient for the elder and to easily provide for their needs.
- There is always someone to keep an eye over the elders and provide for their needs.
- Caring duties of your elderly loved ones are handed over to professionals who know exactly how to provide for their needs.
- You have to combat the emotional guilt involved with not having to personally look after the needs of your elderly loved ones.
- Loneliness may set in.
- Guilt may set in.
- Finding the most reliable and trusted professional Nursing Home or Assisted Care can be a lot of work.
Sometimes caring for an elderly parent at home can get so stressful that you may need to LOOK for the good times because there is good times.
I hope this gives you a little insight for the things to mull over and consider when facing the possibility of taking on the challenge of caring for an elderly parent at home.
Until next time…
I wish you well ~
Donna G Harris 😆
P. S. Here is my Amazon affiliate link if you are looking for any medical supplies online. This is my go to place when searching for something I need for mom. Find What You Need For That Aging Parent Right HERE